8.08.2018

Serious Sunscreen


Since we still have quite a bit of summer left, I figured it would be appropriate to post about sunscreen, another addiction of mine. I am always on the lookout for one that is non-greasy, not too pasty in color and offers optimum protection. I apply sunscreen each day as part of my morning skincare routine. Add a bronzer later and no one is the wiser (see Best Bronzers post). Below are some of my top choices to filter out damaging rays. (If you would like a more indepth look at sunblock factors I found this article online that serves as a basic sunscreen reference guide. It covers mineral vs. chemical sunscreens and defines a lot of the ingredients.)  Supergoop! is one of my all-time favorite sunscreen brands. I actually like all of their sunscreen products, but this one is just so handy. Supergoop Perfect Day 2-in-1 $19, is ideal to keep in your car or bag, since it's a sunblock lotion (SPF 50) and mint lip balm (SPF 30) in one. The lip balm is concealed in the lotion cap and there is a secret mirror hidden in the lid so you can check out your application. Avène Hydrating Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50+ $30, is another one I like for it's non-greasy formula. This lotion is thin, spreads easily, dries quickly and leaves no oily residue. MDSolarSciences Mineral Créme Broad Spectrum SPF 50 $28.50, is a perennial favorite of mine despite it's unusual scent. This provides a full coverage for when you are at the beach. Missha's All Around Safe Block SPF 45+ $12, is a Korean brand that I am loving. It's milky consistency basically disappears upon application. Another Korean pick is by Heimish, and this one doubles as an illuminator (bonus!). Heimish Artless Glow Base SPF 50+ $20, leaves a warm glow while it protects from harmful rays-- it's a win/win. Neogen dermatology introduced this hydrating sunblock, Neogen Day-light Protection Sunscreen $34, with rose, honey and raspberry extracts. It's both moisturizing and protecting without any greasy feeling or white cast. For sport afficianados, there is Alba Botanica Sport Sunscreen SPF 45 $10. I gave this to our tennis pro when I found out he was using a sunscreen with oxybenzone (gasp!). Give one or more of these a try and let me know your thoughts!